fbpx Skip to content

How to make an aged care complaint

If you hold a home care package, it’s important that you know how to make an aged care complaint. As an aged care consumer, you have a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and to receive quality care services. There are a range of different avenues to make a complaint, and many different numbers to call.

My Aged Care's complaint fact sheet

My Aged Care has created a helpful fact sheet for senior Australians wanting to know how to make a complaint about aged care. This fact sheet outlines the steps to make a complaint about My Aged Care themselves, the Regional Assessment Service (RAS), Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), and service providers.

Your first step if you have concerns about My Aged Care is to call them on 1800 200 422. You can also use their online contact us tool. If your complaint is not resolved immediately, you will receive an official response from My Aged Care within 10 business days, along with your complaint reference number. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you should email myagedcaresupport@healthdirect.org.au with the details of your complaint and your reference number.

Making a complaint regarding your ACAT assessment

You may wish to make a complaint if you are concerned about your ACAT assessment, such as if you don’t agree with their assessment decision. If this occurs, you should first contact your ACAT assessor or manager. My Aged Care will provide the contact details for your assessor if you are unable to find them.

If you are still not satisfied, you can request for the decision to be reviewed by writing to the Secretary of the Australian Department of Health. This letter must be sent within 28 days of you receiving your approval letter, and must outline why you think the decision should be changed.

Postal address:
The Secretary
Department of Health
Attn: Aged Care Assessment Program Reconsiderations
GPO Box 9848

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the Secretary’s review, you can apply for a review (there will be a charge) with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

Make a complaint regarding your aged care provider

If you are looking to make a complaint about your service provider, you should always contact your provider first to try to resolve the issue. Aged care providers value the feedback of consumers, as it shows them where they can improve to provide better quality services.

If you are unable to resolve your issue, you can contact the Older Person’s Advocacy Network (OPAN) on 1800 700 600. OPAN provides support to senior Australians who require support resolving issues, and can assist by making and handling a complaint on your behalf. This confidential service is free of charge.

You can also contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822, or make a complaint using the Aged Care Quality online complaints form.  This free service is confidential, but you can also make an open or anonymous complaint if you wish.

Making a complaint at Trilogy Care

At Trilogy Care, we highly value any complaints and feedback, as they help us improve the quality of services we can provide to aged care consumers. You can make a complaint or provide feedback by calling us on 1300 459 190, emailing us at info@trilogycare.com.au , or by filling out and submitting a feedback and complaints form.

If you need some help with filling out the feedback and complaints form, we’ve created a helpful video to guide you through the process.

Make sure you know your aged care rights and responsibilities so that you receive the care you deserve. If you aren’t happy with your current provider and are looking to switch, you’ll love our guide on the steps to switch home care package providers.

Search by category

Contact Trilogy Care

Please contact Trilogy Care on 1300 459 190 for any further information.

Share on Socials